This Fall we've been gathering for an ongoing discussion of music and art that deserves a theological reading. Check out a few of our conversations below.
#WalkHerWalk with OK GO
- The video represents one moment and all the various meanings/details that moment can contain. When have you experienced "one moment" that has had that kind of complexity within?
- The stanza about "for the grace of god go we" re-uses a familiar quote from the 16th century. But is it used differently here? How?
- #GivingTuesday is a moment that pushes back against the idea that this is the end. It is a complicated moment where people invest in hopeful responses in the world. How is such a day like "opening our arms to each other" ?
Green Day and Martyrdom
- What's the biblical model for martyrdom? Check out Acts 7.
- What does the song Bang Bang mean when they sing "I want to be a celebrity martyr. The leading man in my own private drama" ?
- When have Christians adopted this notion of martyrdom?
Hallelujah with Leonard Cohen
- Is this is a praise song? If not, what is it?
- Who are the characters in this song and what are they dealing with?
- What is a "broken hallelujah?"
- How do you understand the verse about the Holy Dove?
- Telling the truth about life, love and faith is difficult, sometimes confusing. How does this song help you in your understanding of the truth of those things?